Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why All the “God Stuff”?

Some of you may be asking this question about my blog.  Why did I chose a verse for my theme?  Why do I refer to God so often?  What is the deal?!  Life can only be properly understood through God’s perspective.  
This may seem like an elementary illustration, but I really like it: Think of life as a pie.  (Any kind you like -- blueberry, pumpkin, chocolate, lemon meringue...)  We divide that pie up into different aspects of life: family, work, leisure, even so-called religion.  Our tendency is to think that God is “one slice” of life -- that He is just a part of life, like on Sundays when you go to church or a day you go to a Bible study, or even just when you read the Bible.  For some, the slice is missing altogether.
Really, God is not to be a slice of the pie of life; He is the filling.  Life is all about Him.  The God of of the Bible is involved in our family life, our work ethics, our leisure activities, whatever we do.  We were created to fellowship with God, to glorify Him in all that we do: “Whether then you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).  From the most basic elements of life -- eating and drinking -- to the most challenging trials we face, we are to do all to God’s glory.  It is from this perspective that I try to view life.  I do not approach this with a “holier-than-thou” attitude, but with the admission that I fail daily to do all to God’s glory.  This is why I am so grateful for the forgiveness I have in Jesus and the changes that He continues to work out in my life.  That explains all the “God stuff.”  
What about you?  Is God the “filling” of your life?  Do you consider Him as just a slice?  Or have you cut Him out completely?  Give Him His rightful place as the “filling” of life through Jesus Christ, and watch Him fill your life.


Blessings, my friends!
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rachel - the pie comparison is a great way to explain God in our life! I plan to tell the guy I am doing the Bible study with about that.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete