Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Miniature Me

I had had enough.  The whining, complaining, ungrateful attitude was getting to me.  I tried to be patient and speak with love, but my annoyance was escalating.  Finally, my frustration came to a head: “That’s enough!” I said firmly (and a bit too loud), “I am really tired of your whining and complaining when you don’t get your way!”
I was speaking to my daughter, but as the words came out of my mouth I realized it may as well have been God speaking to me!  How often have I whined or complained when things don’t go “my way” -- either out loud, or in my heart and thoughts?  How often have I exhibited an ungrateful attitude because things are not happening the way I thought or desired?
Many times, I see in my children a reflection of me; I get a glimpse of my own childish attitude or behavior toward my Heavenly Father.  How thankful I am that “the Lord is slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness” (Psalm 103:8).  So unlike myself as a parent.  
I have personally learned that nothing humbles us (me) like being a parent.  But it also teaches me about the greatness of God, my Father: His patience, kindness, forgiveness, grace...  What a privilege it is to be called His child through faith in Jesus Christ.  Now, I better act like it!
Blessings,
Rachel

1 comment: